Thursday, February 5, 2015

What Are You Scared Of?

Whilst we're on the topic of human emotion, I thought I'd expound on fear.
Perhaps it is the most powerful of all human emotions. It can happen in any form, in any context. Many people feel fear when their careers are at stake, or when someone is in danger.
I wanted to focus on primal fear. The fear that you get when your own life is in danger. While it may be uncomfortable to experience, it drives you to do better; to survive.
You know the feeling.
A cold tingle in your spine.
Trembles throughout your body.
Cool, unrelenting sweat.
Your mouth gone dry.
All of these and more I felt while playing one of my newest video games: Alien Isolation. If the title didn't already give it away, Alien Isolation is a game based off of the Alien franchise, which is like, my favorite movie series ever.
Maybe that's why I can't stop thinking about xenomorphs and all that jazz.
I know it might seem a bit odd to write a post about a video game, but seriously, you've got to try this one out. It's super intense and freaky, and it inspired me to write this post. Now, I've got a cool game and credit for the assignment. Win, win.
Besides, never before have I been more terrified in my life. Granted, I haven't really been in actual danger before, but this comes super-duper close.
Just indulge me for a second and watch this small video clip.
Be warned, it could be considered inappropriate. I guess it shows violence, but, then again, it's all implied, really. Though, it is based off a rated 'R' movie. If you don't want exposure to that, then don't click play.
In this clip, the person playing tries to distract the towering alien with a flash bang, but it doesn't really work out.


Ah! Always gets me, that guy.
There you have it. Pretty fantastic horror experience, I've got to say. Really changed my idea of true fear. If that didn't at least make you cry, then you're probably a robot. And that's no good.
Anyways, I'm rambling. Go and buy it if you can.
Jeez, looking back this seems like a review of the game. The developers should totally pay me for this.




No comments:

Post a Comment